The roll-out of the National Broadband Network (NBN) is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for cablers and the entire Australian ICT infrastructure industry. Never before has there been such a focus on cabling design, skills and products in our community; and all in our industry should seek areas where they take advantage of the opportunities afforded them.
Several cablers are already engaged by NBN Co and its infrastructure delivery partners, utilising their skills and knowledge to make a better network, while others are thinking about how they can get involved.
BICSI Registered Cablers Australia (BRCA) has been actively involved in the NBN roll-out for a number of years, and has shared much of what it has learned with BRCA Cablers. This has included technical documentation from NBN Co, invitations to cabling-specific NBN Co events and notification of business opportunities in the NBN roll-out for cablers. BRCA will continue to provide its cablers with constant updates through this web site and by direct contact via email.
Some helpful documents for cablers:
- ‘Key Information for Builders and Cablers‘ Fact Sheet
- www.registeredcablers.com.au is a web site developed by all of the collective cabling registrars to primarily give consumers a ‘destination’ where they can find factual and unbiased information to help them get the most of the NBN when it’s connected to their home. The web site outlines the options (and their pros and cons) that householders can choose from to get data from the ‘NBN box’ to their PCs, phones, TVs, alarms, medical monitoring systems and other data devices. The web site also provides helpful technical information for Registered Cablers about cabling beyond the ‘NBN box’ and an opt-in facility to be listed as qualified cabling experts that consumers can contact to carry out cabling work for them. To find out more about the opt-in facility click here.
- Click here for information from NBN Co that highlights the importance of cabling within the home beyond the ‘NBN box’ to ensure a quality internet ‘experience’, stressing the need for registered cablers to carry out the work. This would be a good site to direct clients to, where they can see NBN Co’s recognition of the importance of Registered Cablers.
- Click here for useful information on bringing the NBN into developments of various sizes that you may need to work on. This will be helpful information to share with builders and developers you may be working for.
- Click here if you’re interested in a career at NBN Co or any of its roll-out partners.
- Click here to find out if the NBN has been rolled-out in specific areas.
- Click here for a list of FAQs that NBN Co have fielded and answered for industry and the community.