To apply to become a Registered Cabler for the first time, you need complete the online application form and submit it to BRCA all of the supporting documentation requested in the form.
If you’re currently with another registrar and wish to change to BRCA, you already have experience and won’t need to worry about this. Simply complete the online registration form, providing us with your current registration details.
To become a registered cabler, you will firstly need to undertake the requisite training for the type of cabling registration that you are seeking—Open, Restricted or Lift registration. This training is required to ensure individuals are competent to perform cabling work in accordance with the Wiring Rules that ensure safety to consumers, cablers and the network.
This training is provided by an extensive list of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) located across Australia. Please contact an RTO to obtain more information on the training required for registration. Click here for the full list of RTOs and their contact details.
If you have previous telecommunications cabling experience or cabling experience in other industries (for example, electrical), you may be able to undertake a re-assessment of your cabling skills under recognition of prior learning (RPL) provisions. A re-assessment may eliminate or substantially reduce the training required to qualify for registration. Please contact a qualified assessor for more information on the RPL provisions. Click here for the full list of qualified assessors and their contact details.
You must have a minimum of 80 hours for Restricted Registration or 360 hours for Open Registration hands-on industry cabling experience before Cabling Registration can be granted. This can be obtained either under the direct supervision of a Registered Cabler, or experience gained in other relevant cabling activities such as telecommunications, electrical, data, security, or fire alarm cabling.
Applicants must provide sufficient evidence of actual cabling experience using one or more of the methods below:
- A signed statement by Registered Cabler who has directly supervised you, detailing your 80 hours experience for Restricted Registration. Click here to download the Restricted Registration Experience Statement and have your supervising Registered Cabler complete it); or
- A signed statement by Registered Cabler who has directly supervised you, detailing your 360 hours experience for Open Registration. Click here to download the Open Registration Experience Statement and have your supervising Registered Cabler complete it); or
- A detailed log book of cabling experience showing dates and types of work that has been provided; or
- Evidence of a suitably recognised industry trade qualification, involving cabling practices (eg qualified electrician, Foxtel installer, audio/visual installer); or
- A statutory declaration signed by you in the presence of an authorized witness setting out the details of your experience. (click here to download Statutory declaration form)
The fee for becoming a BRCA Registered Cabler is $40.00 (inc GST) for 1 year or $91.00 (inc GST) for 3 years.